Wednesday 11 June 2014

The Coolest Boss Ever

My initial fear about becoming a professional and being in service gradually passed when I got the hang of most things. Only problem was, when you start doing work, you start making mistakes too. It's like that old proverb in my native language--- "Who talks a lot, tells a lot of lies too". But this was a particularly humiliating experience, since I didn't know how to correct the mistakes I had made... But my boss made this part easier. He was a brilliant person, who had all sorts of magical solutions for all sorts of weird problems inside his head. He rarely lost his temper, almost never scolded anyone, and absolutely never failed to solve any problem. Only today I made a whole bunch of errors. In my defense, I had been a little under the weather since morning, but I won't make excuses. I behaved like a dumbass today, and made mistakes only a dumbass would make. First I forgot how to do a particular thing that I had done several times in past. Then of course I asked him how to do that, and got the answer. Very well. Enter the dumbass. I made my first mistake doing that simple thing. And problem was it could neither be deleted, nor modified. After I was done scratching my head and cursing myself mentally and looking hopelessly at the piece of paper that was my doom, I went to his chamber and stated my problem. He must have thought that I was a blundering baboon. But if he did, he didn't tell me that. Instead, he told me how to correct it. The process involved writing a whole lot of things, but after a considerable amount of time it was done... Then I made the second mistake. It was even weirder than the first. My first impulse upon discovering the problem was to clutch a lock of my hair and pull it out. But seeing as it won't solve anything, I again went to his chamber, all the time wishing I were someone else. He was a bit surprized to hear about the problem. As I said, it was really weird. But nevertheless, he again told me how to correct it. After another 20 minutes it was done. I was emotionally drained, exhausted and thoroughly humbled. But in all this mess, I couldn't help but admire the person who showed me the way, and didn't scold me or even glared at me. I wouldn't have minded if he did...but he didn't. We don't often be thankful for the things we already have, but as I started to think what would have happened if there was another person sitting in that chamber, I realized I should be thankful. I am a lucky person indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment